Thursday, August 19, 2010

My little squids

Well, the class is wrapping up, which is why I have not been able to post much. We did two projects which required a lot of sleepless nights. Luckily, I was able to finish my paper last night and actually went to bed before 1 am. I did a little study to see if I could reduce the number of embryos in squid egg capsules to see if it affected development. I was quite pleased with it, because they actually survived (not a sure thing when you are breaking open egg capsules).


So here is a pic from one of my squids...



If you look closely at the top of its mantel disk, you can see its two little bumps that will become the fins. The arms /tentacles are forming, and the eyes are becoming more defined and developed. And my favorite part... on its arms are little suckers!



They've still got a bit to go, but since tomorrow is the last day, I've returned the rest of the mass back where it was collected.

2 comments:

LHA said...

This is fascinating stuff! Happy to have found your blog!

DeniseinVA said...

Hi, I surfed into your blog while on a Google search to identify a fish I had taken at the Seattle Aquarium. I've really enjoyed my visit here and I hope you don't mind but I have provided a link on my post today that will take visitors right here. If you have an objection I will of course remove it.
An English Girl Rambles